Friday 9 January 2015

Albufeira to Portimao

One of the drawbacks of B&B deals in posh hotels or even less posh pousadas, is the lateness of breakfast costs an hour or more of light. It's not compulsory to eat it of course, but paying some attention to a budget seems sensible, and a good breakfast saves on lunch, especially if some is smuggled out for later.

The waiter at the Rocamar is one of those keen to be friends with the long staying guests, less so with passing vagrants, probably suspecting the lunch game and working for tips.

Portimao and its pousada are the plan, and I check the map, follow the inland road, make good time, check bearings with a builder (villa developments not having much street life), find an off road track and arrive at Porches in under three hours. Passing a white elephant disused building, unfinished after twenty years, I find a bar for lunch and the very friendly Antonio and Alexandra, who are so happy that I bother speaking some Portuguese, they add a free cake to my plate. A perfect contrast with the breakfast experience.

They tell me Portimao is around 10km and from the map half of it will be along the main N125 . . . fast, reliable, head down and get it done.

Musing on this walk on the way, I realise I am quite keen to have done this stretch and looking forward to less touristy places. Not tempted by buses though, my stubborn walker insists on doing it on foot.

Portimao turns out to be quite big and the tourist info office not well signed. The pousada is on the edge of town, good for a quick exit on the Lagos road. It's a new building and I am not the first to get lost looking for it . . . up a side street after the shopping centre, I ask for help and a bloke on a bike takes me to the road and tells me to keep going straight.

I may be the only customer . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment