Thursday 1 January 2015

Ayamonte to Tavira . . .

An early start from Spain, and the ferry having a lie in, due to holidays, so I go for the risky option, over the bridge, with the motorway. I fancied walking into Portugal anyway. At Castro Marim, I find Tavira is an easy 20 km away, so off I go. It's warm and sunny, perfect walking weather, and I take my time, passing new expat developments, a very swish golf course, glimpses of the sea, and finally Tavira, a proper Portuguese town, with rivers, lagoon and beautiful beach. This is my fourth visit and I have in mind the mysterious Residencial where I first stayed 40 years ago. And again in 2011, when it was looking tired. Now it is closed, for sale. You could climb the tower for sunrise and sunset. It wants work, but would be a great project. Maybe a hostel for the surprising new (to me) Tavira to Santiago camino. Instead I find the very beautiful, cheap youth hostel, with friendly staff, all speaking good English. Photos to follow. Breakfast included. There is a big party for New Year in the centre, with fireworks. Which wake me up at midnight. Just not my thing, though I am happy it is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment