Friday 30 January 2015

Aljezur to Monchique . . .

The thing about low cloud and light rain on a 32km mountain walk is you are soon in the clouds and that's where they keep the rain.

Waterproofs on and an early start, since 5km an hour is not going to happen with the steep climbs.

Marmalete at 17.5 km, comes slowly . . . time for a coffee, then off again and a lovely encounter as I struggle to put the cape over the rucksack . . . a bloke does it for me, smiles and slaps me on the back, as if to say, "rather you than me mate" . . . head down, more climbing, wind blowing the rain about and finally into Monchique at 4.30, over eight hours after leaving Aljezur.

A room for €15, a small heater doing its best to dry my gear, ready for another 30+ day tomorrow and more rain forecast too.

No comments:

Post a Comment