Wednesday 3 December 2014

lonely . . .

. . . another friend offers feedback . . . I am grateful . . . an apprentice writer needs encouragement and criticism . . . the post that inspired the message saying I sounded harsh on the young American playing "poor me" had me reflecting on how to write interesting material in a subtle way . . . actually the first friend suggested I sounded like a Daily Mail reader. British readers will know that's shorthand for xenophobic, narrow-minded, petit bourgeois . . . except possibly for actual Daily Mail readers who may think it stands for sensible, moderate and upright citizen . . . I was not offended; after all, that's my choice and I know my friend was teasing . . .
the second friend was not triggered by the "poor me" story, but felt I was judging Craig, the loner. Actually, I warmed to him, being a loner myself.

Tonight I seem to be the only pilgrim in the hippy albergue. Since there is no heating, I am in a bar writing. The host from the church albergue has come in to use the wifi. They have heating and no wifi. Francisco is staying there and I am tempted by the heating but intrigued by the philosophy at La Casa de las Sonrisas . . . the experience may be a little uncomfortable, but it wants to be known.

As for the host at the warm albergue, Jose- Manuel, he is last night's host, Juan-Luis' alter ego . . . in his youth an ETA activist from the Basque country.

Thanks to you dear readers, those who encourage, those who offer constructive criticism, those who just read. A writer is only really a writer with readers.

I am enjoying the role and if it means I am pilgrimming part-time, storying the trip as I go, that's fine for me. Actually, I am more rambler than pilgrim. Loving the challenge of the camino. Loving the people I meet. Loving the continuing connection with heart friends from the previous acts in the drama . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment