Thursday 11 December 2014

Mansilla to Leon . . .

Awake and alert very early, with the idea to cover the 20km into Leon in the dark, since it is mostly suburbs and straight path by the road . . . set off at 5, moon high, stars, and cold . . . neat houses with big fences, big gates, security lights, indicates the middle class Leon commuter belt . . . barking guard dogs possibly reinforcing their fear filled lives . . . it's me who set them barking, though I was moving quietly, without lights . . . sorry folks . . . never mind, soon time to get up and set off for another day of slavery to pay for all the stuff you are trying to protect . . . this may sound harsh but it is not meant judgementally; I have served the slave system myself . . .

. . . after three hours, a bar . . . more pleased with the warmth than the coffee, though that's welcome too . . .

. . . and so, into Leon as the day dawns, the locals are going to work, the children to school . . . . . . tourist info sets me right, a photo of the cathedral, then to the albergue, nearby . . . and since a wash and dry is part of the price, my clothes get a treat . . . . . . chat with Adrien, inveterate traveller from France . . . speaks very good English . . . he tells me about the places he has been, Iran being the favourite . . . but his camino is over for now, dodgy shin, retired hurt, waiting for the bus to Paris . . . already planning his next trip - Patagonia . . . I liberate Anam Cara into his care, my only book, I have read it and still looking to lighten the pack . . . I head out to eat, bump into Gordon from Cheshire . . . walking the camino fast, plane booked to be home for Christmas . . . planning a 5 hour stage and it's already gone 3pm . . . the slave system cracked him, wife sacked him, now he is free and happy . . . if a little rushed . . . . . . a quick snap of Gaudi's Consitutional building . . . nice, but it looks like he had more fun and freedom in Barcelona . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment